Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Therapy
NeuroStar® Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Therapy is used to treat of Major Depressive Disorder in adult clients who have failed to receive satisfactory improvement from prior antidepressant medication. While the client is awake & alert, NeuroStar® TMS Therapy uses a targeted pulsed magnetic field to stimulate & reinvigorate areas of the brain relevant to depression & depressive symptoms.
- Significantly Improves Symptoms of Treatment-resistant Depression
- Significantly Improves Symptoms of Obsessive-compulsive Disorder,
- Safe & Food & Drug Administration (FDA) Approved
- No Downtime / Resume Normal Activity Immediately
NeuroStar® Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Therapy: 3-Step Process
Step 1: Prior to NeuroStar® TMS Therapy Beginning
You will recline comfortably in the treatment chair & will be given earplugs to wear.
A small, curved magnetic coil will be positioned lightly on your head.
Step 2: During NeuroStar® TMS
NeuroStar® TMS Therapy delivers focused magnetic stimulation directly to the target areas of the brain
You’ll hear a clicking sound & feel a tapping sensation on your head
Step 3: Post NeuroStar® TMS Therapy
You will resume normal activities immediately.
- There is no pre-preparation for NeuroStar® TMS Therapy.
- During your first NeuroStar® TMS Therapy, several measurements are made to ensure that the coil will be properly positioned over your head.
No, you may resume normal activity immediately.
- Most common side effect is mild headaches & lightheadedness, followed by 30% of clients may experience scalp plain & / or light facial twitching, but adjustments during the treatment to the coil can decrease their occurrence.
- Rare side effects include, seizures, mania, particularly in people with bipolar disorder & hearing loss if there is inadequate ear protection during the treatment
Clients who have struggled with depression & have not experienced relief from antidepressants, or those who have not been able to take antidepressants due to intolerable side effects.
Clients with non-removable metal in their heads (except for braces or dental fillings), should not receive NeuroStar® TMS Therapy. Failure to follow this rule could cause the metal object to heat up, move, or malfunction, & result in serious injury or death.
Metal objects including but not limited to:
- Aneurysm clips or coils
- Stents in the neck or brain
- Deep brain stimulators
- Electrodes to monitor brain activity
- Metallic implants in your ears and eyes
- Shrapnel or bullet fragments in or near the head
- Facial tattoos with metallic or magnetic-sensitive ink
- Other metal devices or object implanted in or near the head
TMS produces changes in the activity of neurons in regions of the brain thought to be associated with mood or pain regulation, such as the prefrontal cortex. The magnetic pulses that pass through the skull & into the brain induce brief activity of nerve cells inside the magnetic field beneath the treatment coil. The frequency TMS pulse delivery influences whether brain activity is increased or decreased after therapy.
TMS might be used as an alternative treatment, or to augment pharmacotherapy or psychotherapy. Clients who have failed to achieve an adequate response from pharmacotherapy, or who are unable to tolerate medications, might consider TMS therapy.
- NeuroStar® TMS Therapy uses a targeted pulsed magnetic field to stimulate & reinvigorate areas of the brain relevant to depression & depressive symptoms.
- ECT intentionally causes a seizure. People receiving ECT must be sedated with general anesthesia & paralyzed with muscle relaxants. Recovery from an ECT treatment session occurs slowly, & patients are usually closely monitored for upwards of a few hours post-treatment.